- Herzl, Theodor. Jewish State. Minneapolis: Dover Publications, Incorporated, 1989.
- JPS Hebrew - English Tanakh. Washington D.C.: Jewish Publication Society, 1999.
- Laqueur, Walter, and Barry Rubin, eds. The Israel-Arab Reader : A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict. New York: Penguin, 1991.
- Reinharz, Jehuda, and Paul R. Mendes-Flohr, eds. The Jew in the Modern World : A Documentary History. New York: Oxford UP, Incorporated, 1995.Secondary Sources
Antisemitism and the Holocaust
- Blech, Rabbi Benjamin. The Complete Idiots Guide to Jewish History and Culture. Indianapolis: Alpha Books, 2004.
- Gartner, Lloyd P. History of the Jews in Modern Times. New York: Oxford UP, 2001.
- Gilbert, Martin. The Atlas of Jewish History. New York: William Morrow & Company, 1992.
- Johnson, Paul. A History of the Jews. New York: Harper Perennial, 1988.
- Telushkin, Joseph. Jewish Literacy Revised Ed : The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History. Boston: William Morrow & Company, 2008.
Zionism and Israel
- Bauer, Yehuda. A History of the Holocaust. New York: Franklin Watts, 1982.
- Bauer, Yehuda. Rethinking the Holocaust. New York: Yale UP, 2001.
- Bauer, Yehuda. The Holocaust in Historical Perspective. Seattle: University of Washington P, 1978.
- Browning, Christopher R. The Origins of the Final Solution : The Evolution of Nazi Jewish Policy, September 1939-March 1942. New York: University of Nebraska P, 2004.
- Feingold, Henry L. The Politics of Rescue. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1970.
- Hilberg, Raul. Perpetrators Victims Bystanders : Jewish Catastrophe 1933-1945. New York: HarperCollins, 1992.
- Hilberg, Raul. The Destruction of the European Jews. New York: Holmes and Meier, 1985.
- Lewis, Bernard. Semites and Anti-Semites. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1986.
- Marrus, Michael R., ed. Ch. XI Bystanders to the Holocaust (The Nazi Holocaust Vol. 8). Wesport: Meckler, 1989.
- Marrus, Michael R. The Holocaust in History. Hanover: University Press of New England, 1987.
- Morse, Arthur D. While Six Million Died : A Chronicle of American Apathy. New York: Random House, 1967.
Arab-Israeli Conflict and Diplomacy
- Avineri, Shlomo. The Making of Modern Zionism. New York: Basic Books, 1981.
- Hertzberg, Arthur, ed. The Zionist Idea : A Historical Analysis and Reader. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1997.
- Laqueur, Walter. A History of Zionism. New York: Schocken Books, 1976.
- O'Brien, Conor C. The Siege: The Saga of Israel and Zionism. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1986.
- Reinharz, Jehuda, and Anita Shapira, eds. Essential Papers on Zionism. New York: New York UP, 1995.
- Sachar, Howard Morley. A History of Israel : From the Rise of Zionism to Our Time. New York: Knopf, 2003.
Middle East; Muslim-Jewish History and Relations; Jews in Arab Lands
- Bard, Mitchell. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Middle East Conflict. Indianapolis: Alpha Books, 2005.
- Fromkin, David. A Peace To End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East. New York: Avon Books, 1989.
- Gelber, Yoav. Palestine 1948. War, Escape and the Emergence of the Palestinian Refugee Problem. Sussex: Academic P, 2006.
- Karsh, Efraim. The Arab-Israeli Conflict. Oxford: Osprey, 2002.
- Lewis, Bernard. The Multiple Identities of the Middle East. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1998.
- Oren, Michael B. Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East. New York: Oxford UP, 2002.
- Ross, Dennis. The Missing Peace: The Inside Story of the Fight for Middle East. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2004.
- Cohen, Mark R. Under Crescent and Cross: The Jews in the Middle Ages. Princeton, 1994.
- Hourani, Albert. A History of the Arab Peoples. New York: Warner Books, 1991.
- Satloff, Robert. Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach into Arab Lands. New York: Public Affairs, 2006.
- Shulewitz, Malka H., ed. The Forgotten Millions: The Modern Jewish Exodus from Arab Lands. London: Continuum, 2000.
- Stillman, Norman. The Jews of Arab Lands in Modern Times. Pennsylvania: Jewish Publication Society, 1991.
- Stillman, Norman. The Jews of Arab Lands. Pennsylvania: Jewish Publication Society, 1989.Audiovisual
Jewish History and Judaism
Heritage: Civilization and the Jews (4 DVD disks, 540 minutes for the entire series) is the 1984 nine-part Peabody award winning documentary series covering Jewish history. Teachers can excerpt relevant episodes for the study of ancient Jewish history, Judaism, Zionism, the Holocaust and the founding of the state of Israel. It is appropriate for grades 6-12 and is available from Netflix and Blockbuster.Israel and the Middle East
Religions of the World: Judaism is a 50 minute DVD narrated by Ben Kingsley that presents an overview of the Jewish religion. It is appropriate for grades 6-12 and can be purchased for $39.95 from the websites of Socialstudies.com or Libraryvideo.com
Families of Israel is a 30 minute DVD in 2 parts. The first part is narrated by a 3rd grade girl who lives on a kibbutz (cooperative community) near the Dead Sea; the second part is narrated by a 1st grade boy who lives in Jerusalem. It provides a very realistic picture of the daily lives of these children and their families that American elementary school children will easily relate to. It can also be used at middle school and high school levels as an exercise using note-taking skills to learn about family life in Israel. It is available from Blockbuster and can be purchased on the Families of the World web site for $29.95.
Exodus is a 4 hour film based on a novel by Leon Uris about the founding of Israel. It tells the story of bringing displaced persons, Jewish survivors of the Holocaust, to British Mandate Palestine after World War II. It is appropriate for high school students and is available from Netflix and Blockbuster.
Promises is a 102 minute documentary that follows the interaction of a family of Israeli and a family of Arab children whose relationship is affected by the problems between their two peoples. It is appropriate for grades 7-12 and available from Netflix and Blockbuster.
Six Days in June is a 108 minute PBS documentary that chronicles Israel's victory in the 1967 Six Day War when Arab states threatened Israel's existence. The documentary has actual footage of pre-war actions, the battles, and the aftermath of the war that changed the situation in the Middle East. It is appropriate for grades 7-12 and is available from Netflix.
Israelupclose.org is a website that contains news magazine stories about various happenings in Israel. Nine minute DVDs can be ordered for $10.00 each. Each DVD contains 3 news stories. It is appropriate for grades 6-12.
Anti-Semitism in the 21st Century: The Resurgence, narrated by Judy Woodruff, examines the roots of antisemitism and why it flourishes today. It is appropriate for grades 7-12 and can be purchased from shopPBS.com for $29.95.
Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport documents the story of the German children up to 17 years old whose parents sent them to England at the beginning of World War II. Expecting to be reunited with their parents "soon", many did not see their parents again. This 117 minute DVD is appropriate for the high school and could also be used at the middle school level if the teacher selects the most relevant portions. It is available from Netflix and Blockbuster.
Genocide is an 85 minute DVD that graphically documents the Holocaust of World War II. Narrated by Elizabeth Taylor and Orson Welles, this 1981 Academy Award winner is compelling and includes graphic scenes of Nazi acts. It is appropriate for grades 9-12 and can be purchased on line from the Weisenthal Center's website and is available from Netflix.Websites
For a list of recommended websites, click here.
Website by Olio Arts